I found this sturdy and quite heavy mirror at a good ole’ yard sale. I saw it when I did a drive by through a nice suburban neighborhood yard sale, and like a creeper, I stalked slowly past the house to see if it was worth getting out before checking the goods up close and personal. Lucky for me it was because this was a good buy!
Ok, so the first thing did was lightly sand the wooden part of the mirror, being careful not to scratch the actual mirror. I wanted to protect the mirror from paint so I covered the mirrored part with newspaper.
Now this part was slightly tedious and maddening but it needed to be done, especially because I was planning on using wax at the end and didn’t want to have to clean all that off the mirror.
So what I did was ripped up some newspaper to make smaller pieces, which fit better than trying 1 large piece, and I tucked them under the wooden frame of the mirror. (yes they all fit under there and you want to make sure they are under the frame do get nice clean lines.) I then secured all the paper with some scotch tape to make sure it wasn’t going anywhere.
This was after one coat of paint! You can see how nicely the newspaper fits under the whole framing.
After 2 coats of paint (by the way I used Annie Sloan chalk paint in “Cream”) I realized the itty bitty nail holes were showing. I didn’t notice them before because the paint was dark and hid them.
So I used some wood filler, waited about 20 minutes, sanded over the holes and then put another coat of paint on! Problem solved:)
Moving on- After all that green paint was covered and not visible anymore (3 coats later) I was ready for some wax. I used clear wax first and brushed that over all of the wood parts. Rubbed it in with a clean cloth and then used the Dark Wax very generously to get into the nooks and crannies the mirror.
I then wiped off some of the dark wax leaving it heavier in areas, like the corners, to give it a nice worn look. Then buffed it to nice shine with another clean lint free cloth:)
After waxing, I was ready to remove the newspaper. Most of it came off pretty easily. Other parts no so much. They got stuck under the frame. So I took a razor blade and gently went around the perimeter to get the rest of the paper unstuck:) Works likes a charm every time. Comes out as clean as a babies bottom.
AND……this is what you are left with.
A beautiful accent piece that could be hung in the Vatican. Ok, Ok, maybe not there. I guess my house will do:)