I found these beauties at a local thrift shop (like always). I mean we’ve all seen these chairs floating around offices haven’t we?? That fabric is straight out of the 80’s. I’m sure I sat on one of these in the principal’s office in elementary school. 🙂 Who am I kidding, I was an angel (right dad).
Anywho, they were sturdy little chairs that pretty much just needed to be reupholstered and the wooden arms were sanded down and re-stained. So, I picked out this modern yet neutral fabric at Joann fabric (the pattern is called fish eye). I reupholstered directly over top of the old fabric which is not something I normally do, but the fabric didn’t stink and was still in pretty good condition. But before doing that I took out the piping around the perimeter of the bottom cushion so that when I covered it, the fabric laid flat.
That back of the chair screwed right into the back of the cushion, so I had to be a little creative when doing the back. I didn’t want the fabric to tear apart when I screwed it back in so put fabric above and below the screw holes but not directly over them. Worked like a charm.
I stapled a lot! And hot glued a lot! But overall it went pretty smoothly. That is until I went to reattach the cushion back on the chair. I didn’t account for the fabric being extra thick, so when I went to screw the pieces back on, the staples showed in a few places on the upper cushion.
Problem solved. I made another small flat section of fabric and attached it over the spot where the stapes were peeking out and then nailed on decorative bronzed nail heads. It’s funny how small road blocks make your project turn out even better. Had those staples not been showing I wouldn’t have put the nail heads on. But, I LOVE LOVE them!!
All in days work 😉 I learned a lot throughout the process of doing these chairs. I have two more chairs sitting at home ready to be done and I am hoping I will be a whiz at them. Practice makes perfect!