Sometimes when I go thrift shopping for nothing in particular, I find the best treasures. Not that long ago I stumbled across this diamond in the rough. Now normally I wouldn’t have looked twice at this piece but since we were in the middle of a basement reno, it was perfect. Shelving unit/wine holder for only 25 bucakroo’s. Doesn’t get much better than that especially for an ocd organizing wine connoisseur 🙂
The first thing I did was let it sit in my garage and age for about a year, like I do with all things I buy, until I figure out what I am doing with it. (My husband loves when I take up garage space for that long) It needed to breath, I mean it is a wine shelf after all!! But seriously, my 2 car garage looks like an antique store.
Anyway, I sanded the whole thing lightly to get off the grime. I am painting the whole thing white so I only need to sand enough for the primer to adhere well. After sanding, I wiped it down really well to get off all the dirt and excess dust.
After a good coat of primer, (I used a gray spray on primer, this is just what I had sitting around but also the wine holder part would have been difficult to get a paint brush back in there, but any primer will do) I then used a finishing sander block and lightly sanded over the primer to smooth that coat out. I then hand painted 3 coats of white paint on with Behr white paint in an eggshell, except for the wine holder part. I left that part gray because I liked how it looked.
You can also see I didn’t paint the back of the shelf because I plan on putting a decorative fabric back there. Which leads me to the next step. Instead of just adhering the fabric directly to the wood itself, I decided to adhere my fabric to a foam craft board fitted to the size of the back wall of the shelf. That way I can easily change out my fabric if I want to without ruining the back of the shelf. Here is what I used to create my fabric board.
After measuring the back wall of my shelf, I got the largest craft foam board from Staples I could find. The largest foam board measured 40″ x 30″. I marked my measurements on the foam board and then used a level (to follow a straight line) and an Exacto knife to cut. I scored the line with the Exacto knife 2 times.
I then bent that line, because the knife didn’t cut all the way through.
Then I flipped the board over and scored the opposite side along the same line to make the final cut through the board.
This is how I got a nice clean cut.
This cut was made to fit lengthwise so the foam board was too short fit the height I needed.
So, I used the leftover piece I cut off earlier and cut it into multiple pieces so that they would fit together like a puzzle making the board the proper height.
Then, I taped it all together with packaging tape, which made it surprisingly strong, and voila the board fit like a glove. I didn’t use anything to adhere the board to the back of the shelf. It just fit and stayed in place especially once the shelves were put in.
Now, I am ready to attach my fabric to my foam board. I used Loctite spray adhesive and sprayed a thin layer on the foam board and also a thin layer on the back of the fabric. I let the adhesive sit for about 1 minute to get tacky and then I laid the fabric, face side up, onto the foam board. The nice thing about this spray adhesive is that even after I put the fabric down, I could lift it off again to fix it if I needed. There was a grace period to move things around a little before it really started to adhere which is good for me because I NEVER get it where I want it the first time.
After the fabric adheres to the board, I attach the excess fabric to the back of the foam board with packing tape. Why packing tape? It’s sturdy enough to hold the fabric for a long time, but probably not forever. I will change out the fabric sooner rather than later because I get bored easily:) If I wanted the fabric to adhere really well onto the back of the board I could have used the spray adhesive to last longer.
I then needed shelves which this did not come with, so what other option than to make them. I bought a 1″x10″x6′ (cost about $10) and cut it to the length I needed. I sanded them lightly and then white washed them. (White wash meaning- I watered down the same paint that I used for the shelf and then brushed a few coats on so that I could still see the color of the wood peeking through the paint.) EASY!
After the shelves were dry I placed them inside the shelf with those little pegs that go into holes on the onside of the shelf.
And here is the final result!!!!!!! We have yet to hang it…but it will be hung up behind our bar in the basement, that is, once the bar is finished.
I used a combination of fun decorative pieces and barware to decorate the shelves. Included are wine glasses (of course), a stainless flask, and a decanter to keep with the bar theme:)
I have to say I impressed myself on this one. I’m really admiring this shelf which serves such a great purpose, wine and accessories all in one place!!! What more could a girl ask for in her basement 🙂 Oh well maybe some more wine to add to the shelf. Taking donations:) Malbec and petite syrah are my faves…just saying!!