As promised, I am going to show you how I made the ridiculously large train wheel photo in Connor’s bedroom reveal seen here.
So what I was going for was a huge black and white train wheel that takes up an enormous portion of the wall. The first thing I did was take my photo which looked like this before . (We went to a train museum to take this picture. )
I loaded my photo onto snapfish and changed it into a black and white photo and then loaded that photo onto the staples website. (you can also take your camera into staples and do it there.) Staples is awesome because they have engineering prints which are essentially used for black and white line drawings for engineers, hence the name engineering print, however they can also be used to print out oversized black and white photos. Whoda thunk!! You can choose from 3 sizes, 18 x 24, 24 X 36 or 36 x 48. Naturally I went with the 36 x 48 which cost $8.00. You want to make sure you have a good quality crisp photo taken in good lighting because when you blow it up that big it can get grainy and mottled looking.
Here’s what it looks like when you pick it up from the store. A bundle of joy!
I chose to use 4ft x 8ft tempered hardboard as the backing for my picture. I chose this because it was sturdy and inexpensive. You could also use plywood too. I had the handy dandy Lowe’s man cut my hardboard to the size of my picture which was 36″ x 48″ because they do it for free! and then I sprayed the hardboard with spray adhesive and gently laid the photo on top. I found the easiest way to get that large of a photo on the board without wrinkling is to spray only half of the board and then lay half of the photo on top and then once that is in place, spray the other half of the board and then lay the rest of the photo over that area.
After that dried thoroughly, I sprayed a protective matte finish directly on top of the picture. This protects the black and white copy from rubbing off. You can buy this at any craft store.
I made a frame out left over trim pieces we had sitting around. I cut them to my specific lengths and then glued the corners together over the top of the photo/board. I then nailed it on the perimeter of the corners so that it would stay put!
The finished photo was pretty heavy because of the board, so to hang this thing I got one of these mirror kits and used the D-rings on either side of the back of the frame. Then I used anchored wall screws to hang them on to keep them in place. (of course you don’t need to buy a huge kit like this, I just figured I would be using all the extras it came with at some point.)
BAM! photo finish ready! It’s definitely a show stopper.
Total spent for this project was around $19.00. That’s pretty darn cheap for a HUGE space taker. I’m thinking about doing a family photo or a beach scene for the basement. We’ll see!!!