Happy New Year to you! The New Year made me get the itch to do some rearranging and changing of household items. So, this shelf was my first victim. I love these cubicles because they hide toys, or that was the idea at least. (The toys seem to come to life when I am not looking and find themselves outside of the cubicles just after I put them all away) When I first bought them, I loved that the shelves were different heights. Now, I am bored with it and want to change it without buying new ones. I want a case that is all the same height. Click- Light bulb went off- and I decided to just cut the top off of the taller of the 2 shelves. EASY right!
These shelves came from target and had to be assmebled. So, I knew they would dis-assemble easily. The first thing I did was unscrew the top layer, took it off and set it aside to put back on after I cut it down to size.
Now cutting it down to size was a little tricky. I used a jigsaw which was a good choice but just eyeing it up for a random cut, not so much!
OOOOPS! This is what happens when you try to do a project too fast. I know, I know, I should know better!!!! Slow and steady is definitely the key to cutting a straight line. And, maybe a straight line measurement. Obviously I didn’t get that memo.
What do you do about that uneven surface you ask? Well, I sanded it down a bit and then sanded the other 2 straight edges so that they were all the same height. It wasn’t perfect, but after I put the top back on it looked pretty darn good in my book.
After my surfaces were all the same height, I placed the original top back on and drilled pilot holes or the holes screws will fit in. (You must drill pilot holes into the newly cut towers, because there are none there now that we cut the old ones off. I used the original top as a template for where the holes go and then drilled them. (If you don’t drill these pilot holes, your wood/particle board will crack and break apart. I may have done this on a past project and found out very quickly that this is a MUST DO step.)
After the pilot holes were drilled, I was ready to screw the top on. I kept the original screws and just used those.
Ok, done!! I cleaned the “new” shelf up and placed it next to the old one. They look like they are one long shelf now. Eventually, I would like to make a stained wood top to put over the existing top, but for now this completes the look I was going for.
Total cost for this project = $0.00 since I didn’t have to buy anything new for this. Just goes to show that you don’t need to run out and buy a new piece of furniture when you get bored with your old stuff. A little thought and elbow grease goes a long way 😉