So after living with this lovely slate flooring and matching mint-ish green carpet to go with it for 3 years, we FINALLY had the chance (and money) to put new flooring down. Can I get a what what!!! I tried everything to make these 2 floors look nice while we had to live with them but I found myself trying to hide them more than show them off. I am convinced no hallway runner or cleaning agent in the world could make that floor look good.
This picture below is the MLS photo of the house before we moved in.
First things first! Move furniture out of the way into your dining room so that your dining room is utterly impossible to get into. Check! (yes that was my dining room for over a week)
Next- Remove the old flooring with saying every swear word know to man under your breath. The carpet came out in a cinch (no choice words used) However, the foyer flooring, not so much. The middle section came out easy as pie, but the perimeter was on there for life. (slight aka A LOT of profanity used during this process)
Jeremy so graciously offered to do remove the hallway tiles…sucker!! He started with a wood chisel to pop the easy tiles off and then had to resort to a ???? to get the hard ones off. The hard ones tended to come off in little pieces which was the frustrating part, but they all eventually came off. (Why is it that when we think a project will take a short amount of time to do, it takes FOREVER!!!!)
After the carpet is out, there will be tack strips along the perimeter of the walls. These hold the carpeting in place. You will need to remove them (a crowbar works well).
We also had a bunch of staples everywhere on the subflooring, so those had to come out too. Luckily, I had a good helper to get all of those out.
We found our new flooring by a big fat chance while shopping at Home Depot. There were 2 skids full of this beautiful Hampton Bay laminate wood flooring ON CLEARANCE! yes that’s right, clearance. They were exactly what we were looking for. They were left over from a job and in a hurry to get rid of them. After doing some quick online phone research and little math we realized it got great reviews and there was just the right amount of flooring available to do our whole first floor. So, needless to say, they were in the back of the truck on the way home.
Some laminate floors have underlayment already attached to the back of the boards. Ours did not, therefore we had to lay an underlayment under the laminate flooring. So why do we need underlayment? Well, our laminate flooring is considered a floating floor meaning it stays together because of the lock and fold mechanism and is not nailed/glued to the sub flooring. So we need something in between the new laminate flooring and the sub floor. The underlayment serves a number of purposes. It creates padding to cushion the new floor, noise reduction and can also act as a moisture barrier. It also helps remove some unevenness on the subfloor. (the blue is the underlayment in the photos below)
Installation of the actual flooring was pretty easy. This flooring, like mentioned above, it uses a lock and fold mechanism, so the two pieced click in together at a 45 degree angle and then they lay flat once locked in together. The hardest part is finding your starting point and making sure it’s nice and straight. Also, laying the pieces with the length of the house looks better visually (I think)
I mean really! Does that look awesome or what. And, it’s LAMINATE! I am in love.
We only got the first two areas of the first floor completed. We still have to do the kitchen and dining room.
Meanwhile, the rest of the flooring is hiding in our closet for a rainy day.