Hope you all had a wonderful hoIiday! I took a 2 week hiatus from the blogging world to focus on family and making delicious food. I am back, a few pounds heavier, and ready to finally reveal my reupholstered chair that I bought, oh…2 years ago!!!. (slightly embarrassed that I have had it that long but we all have projects like that, right?) It was serving a great purpose in the garage as a dog food holder in the meantime.
So, I bought this chair for $25.00 ( a little more than I like to spend on chairs) but I loved it’s curves and great bones, so I splurged. Isn’t she a beauty!!
The first thing I did was remove the really pretty fabric on the seat. (I tried to take it off while salvaging it at the same time so that I could use the fabric for a template for the new fabric). You can see under the fabric there was really old padding that just crumbled when I tried to take it off. I removed all of that and was left with the burlap covering the springs. The bottom of the chair and the springs in the chair were in great shape, so I just left them alone. (If you need to fix your springs, there are some great tutorials online that show how to do that)
Next, I lightly sanded all of the wood parts on the whole chair to remove the shiny luster and create a good working surface for the primer to adhere. Then I primed with Zinnser spray primer. I lightly sanded with a finishing sander and sprayed 2 coats of Rust-oleum American Accents in Blossom White. I then sanded off some of the white paint to reveal the original brown color to make it look slightly worn and then sprayed Rust-oleum American Accents clear top coat over the whole thing.
After it dried completely. I cut and installed 2″ high density foam (the green stuff, not the white). Now, listen carefully, the best way to cut this foam is with an electric kitchen knife (the kind you cut your thanksgiving day turkey with). However, I did not have one of these and regretted every moment of not having one. SO GET ONE if you plan on doing this. I ended up taking a plain old kitchen knife and painfully cut it as best I could. It looked like a rabid animal had eaten the edges, but whatever it worked.
Before you lay the foam down on the chair. You have to make sure there is a lip around the perimeter of the chair to support the foam. Mine was still in great condition when I removed the old foam, so I just kept it as is. You can see the lip on the photo above on the left. Now I am ready to place the foam over the base of the chair. I used Loctite spray adhesive and sprayed the back of the foam to adhere it the base of the chair. Now I am ready to put the batting over the foam.
I just laid the batting over the foam and cut it to the shape of the chair. I left an extra 2 inches of fabric around the edge so I had room to pull the fabric while I stapled it to the chair.
After stapling the batting to the chair, I cut the excess fabric off. Now we are ready for the main fabric. I tried something new, I went out of my comfort zone and I bought my fabric online at www.onlinefabricstore.com. I ordered about 13 samples, because I’m crazy OCD (first step is admitting it, right?), and chose this lovely fabric (Waverly Strands Sterling Fabric.)
Ok, so here is where the old fabric becomes handy. I laid the old fabric on top of the new fabric and cut about 2 inches around the perimeter. (I checked it probably 5 times before cutting.) The old fabric had slits cut into the corners at certain places, so I did the same on the new fabric and you know what???? It freakin’ worked like a charm. My new fabric fit like a glove. So I pulled the fabric taught and stapled my little heart out (with a manual stapler!!!! UGH!!) PS: Guess who got a pneumatic staple gun for Christmas…oh yeah, this girl!!
After I was satisfied with my staple placement, I cut the excess fabric off. To cover the staples all I did was took my new fabric, cut a piece the length of one of the sides where the staples needed covered (plus an extra inch or two of fabric), and then I folded it over 3 times lengthwise and hot glued it to itself, keeping the unfinished edge on the back. Then I glued that finished looking piece over the staples. It was really that easy.
There ya go! My first attempt at reupholstering a chair. It was a lot of steps but overall I think it went pretty easy. I only gained 5 grey hairs during this project. Just kidding! But, I am anxious to try out my new staple gun to see how much faster I can staple now:)